If you’re ordering gifts online this year, have a plan to make sure your packages aren’t swiped on delivery.
Stolen packages can put a damper on the holiday season. People in rural areas have a higher chance of being victimized by a porch grinch. For example, a recent study found North Dakota residents are about 26 times more likely to have their holiday packages taken than the average American.
If your packaged is stolen, contact the retailer and explain. You may just qualify for a refund or even a new shipment.
Here’s some ideas to help prevent getting your goods grabbed:
- Install a camera. It will deter most thefts, which are crimes of opportunity
- Ask for a tracking number and try to be at home
- Better yet, schedule your delivery for when you are home
- Request a signature for delivery
- Request your package be placed in a more secluded spot
- Have items delivered to work or a trusted neighbor
- Have your order be delivered to the retail store or a locker for pick-up