With the 'unofficial" beginning of Summer here...It's time to pack up and head to the beach. Do you have a favorite beach? Which beaches do you feel are the best in the U.S.?
Florida International University professor Stephen Leatherman, a.k.a. Dr. Beach, has come out with his annual list of the best U.S. beaches based on FIFTY different criteria, like water temperature, sand quality and upkeep of the natural environment.
So, what beach tops Dr. Beach’s list this year? The honor goes to Kapalua Bay Beach in Maui, Hawaii, which Leatherman calls “a perfect beach for swimming and snorkeling in the clear, azure waters that are protected by two headlands formed long ago by lava flows into the sea.”
Dr. Beach’s Top Ten Beaches in the U.S.
- Kapalua Bay Beach Maui, Hawaii
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Grayton Beach State Park Florida panhandle
- Coopers Beach Southampton, New York
- Coast Guard Beach Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Caladesi Island State Park Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Hapuna Beach State Park Big Island, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Source: Dr. Beach