Summer storms can bring lightning, high winds and sometimes hail that can cause service interruptions. Be prepared. Before a storm:
• Assemble an emergency kit with bottled water, nonperishable food, flashlights, a battery-operated radio, extra batteries and a first aid kit.
• Have a non-electric can opener on hand.
• Fill your tub with water for extra water reserves.
• Charge all mobile devices.
During a storm:
• Stay connected with Central Hudson’s mobile app (CentralHudson.com/MobileApp) or follow them on Facebook or Twitter.
• Tune in to local radio stations. When outages are severe enough to affect many customers (generally for more than a couple of days), Central Hudson activates“CHECK” (Central Hudson Emergency Communication NetworK).
• Never go near downed wires (stay at least 30 feet away) and always stay clear of working crews.
• Protect and unplug electronics.
• Avoid opening your refrigerator and freezer unnecessarily during outages, so food lasts longer.
• Avoid wet and flooded areas as electricity and water are a dangerous combination.
• If you are operating a generator, never run it indoors or inside a garage — only outdoors in a well-ventilated area and follow all safety guidelines.
Stay up to date with the latest weather conditions in the Hudson Valley HERE